Thriving Through Action
Anchor QEA’s mission is to improve the environment and our communities with integrity and vibe—that indefinable spirit that defines our culture and creates lasting connections with clients and colleagues. We are driven to continuously challenge ourselves and the status quo to forge better solutions to challenging problems and create positive impacts on our world.
Our collective enthusiasm for creativity, dedication to superior quality, and a genuine desire to build enduring relationships are the hallmarks of our success and the foundation of our future growth. As partners to public entities and private industry, we are dedicated to serving our clients’ needs and the professional and personal development of all our people.
Our core values of safety, service, initiative, vibe, quality, and integrity are the foundation of our work. Our commitment to these core values and our desire to stay connected to projects and clients are what sets Anchor QEA apart.
Our top priority is maintaining a work environment that promotes safety and well-being. We value service to our clients and coworkers and extend the effort to go the extra mile. We value taking initiative to develop professionally, make Anchor QEA better, and achieve new positive outcomes.
We strive to be a growing company that is our clients’ first choice for solving their most challenging problems and our employees’ first choice as a company where they want to work. We cultivate vibe to maintain an environment that fosters enthusiasm, positivity, and strong relationships.
Through the quality of our work, we earn the respect of our clients and maintain our reputation for excellence. Finally, we take pride in our integrity by approaching our work and working relationships with ethical standards, including honesty, good judgment, recognition of others’ contributions, and respect for differences.
Taking responsibility for safety and preparedness in the office and field through personal initiative, communication, and teamwork
- Using available resources to ensure the health and safety of ourselves and our coworkers, both in the office and in the field
- Proactively creating and affirming awareness of the importance of health and safety
- Supporting Anchor QEA’s Health and Safety Program
Providing service to our clients and coworkers through technological leadership, job knowledge, and teamwork
- Applying our expertise to address our clients’ needs through innovative problem solving and extensive technical knowledge in our specialty areas
- Communicating job knowledge to the team and applying this knowledge to address coworkers’ needs
- Listening to and understanding clients and coworkers to provide an outcome that is valuable to them
- Focusing on meeting the requests and needs of others
- Being willing to extend the effort to go the extra mile
Contributing to a work environment that encourages and rewards creative solutions and provides opportunities for all employees
- Thinking beyond immediate and obvious goals to achieve more creative, comprehensive, or useful solutions
- Providing opportunities for all employees to share in the company’s success, increase their level of responsibility, and grow professionally
- Following through on created opportunities by being resourceful and actively applying our talents to go beyond what is expected or established
Cultivating a friendly, supportive, and fun work environment through open communication and teamwork within and external to Anchor QEA
- Motivating others through sincere enthusiasm for the job and the company
- Having a positive attitude, self-awareness, and healthy work/life balance
- Valuing quality relationships with coworkers, clients, and others in the community
- Displaying an appropriate balance between personal effort and team effort within and external to Anchor QEA
- Actively extending the good vibe into the community
Demonstrating superior quality in all aspects of our work
- Taking responsibility to ensure tasks are done well
- Producing products that are concise and well-organized, peer reviewed for accuracy, and edited for clarity and consistency
- Possessing sufficient skill and knowledge to perform all parts of the job effectively and efficiently
- Consistently integrating feedback into work product development
Making choices about our work and relationships based on strong ethical standards and accountability
- Acting to enhance the dignity and well-being of ourselves and others
- Approaching our work and working relationships with ethical standards, including honesty, good judgment, recognition of others’ contributions, and respect for differences
- Doing our share and being responsible, accountable, and reliable
Health & Safety
Safety is Anchor QEA’s most important core value. The safety of our employees, their families, our clients and subcontractors, and the public is paramount.
With a foundation of behavior-based safety programs, Anchor QEA adheres to and supports client-required health and safety programs on our project sites. Anchor QEA staff are trained to work on HAZWOPER sites per 29 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1910.120 and are given other, proactive safety training in excess of regulatory requirements to be prepared for hazards they may encounter.
Each and every Anchor QEA employee has both the authority and responsibility to make safety-related decisions at any time, including the decision to stop a work task if conditions appear or may become unsafe. This fundamental approach is supported throughout the highest levels of management and fosters a proactive attitude toward maintaining a program that meets and, in many respects, exceeds federal, local, and client requirements.
Anchor QEA also provides safety-related services for clients. These include the following:
Turnkey client safety system management on complex sites
Summary, management, and submittal of detailed safety data to successfully comply with third‑party vendor safety pre-qualification databases, such as ISNetworld, Avetta, BROWZ, and Vero
Technical safety consulting for investigation and remediation projects through our in‑house Safety Professional
Project- and client-Loss Prevention System™ training and stewardship
Safety certification database management
Site Safety Officer field support
Project- and task-specific Health and Safety Plans, fully compliant with 29 CFR 1910.120, as well as unique client requirements, as needed
Environmental responsibility is at the heart of what we do at Anchor QEA, and we are committed to green initiatives that focus on continually incorporating sustainable practices.
Our Sustainability Program is based on the widely accepted “triple bottom line” approach to placing a balanced emphasis on the following:
- Environmental protection and restoration
- Economical and cost-effective solution
- Protection of human health and building strong communities
We promote this approach in the services we offer our clients, within our internal company operations, and through environmental stewardship in the community.
Anchor QEA provides sustainable sediment management by evaluating remedial alternatives for environmental impacts and long-term sustainability of a project, using environmental footprinting as an evaluation metric. We regularly incorporate green design into projects; design restoration projects to improve and sustain ecosystems for fish and wildlife; and provide water resources, water quality, and water conservation services.
Our daily operations promote sustainable business practices that emphasize the following:
- Energy efficiency and reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. We support telecommuting and encourage employees to commute via public transportation. All our offices use energy-efficient equipment.
- Waste reduction and recycling. When permitted, we submit electronic deliverables and encourage clients to review electronic versions of documents and correspondence. We also use paper created from recycled materials and promote in-office recycling.
- Green supply chain. We work with vendors and subconsultants that support our environmental practices.
Anchor QEA’s Sustainability Committee monitors our green initiatives, recognizes issues that may affect our clients, and identifies upcoming projects, trainings, and conferences where our technical expertise can be applied.
Our employees place importance on living and working toward a more sustainable future. Anchor QEA staff regularly organize and participate in restoration activities across the country. Anchor QEA also contributes to a wide range of charities—from human services to environmental education organizations—that strengthen the communities where we live and work.
Learn more about Anchor QEA’s community involvement and inclusion.
Our commitment to improving the environment and our communities has been recognized through awards granted to our projects, teams, and individuals. Through the years, our company and employees have been recognized with numerous honors and awards, including:
Award of Merit, Meydenbauer Bay Park
Federal Planning Division Honor Award (1st prize) for “Outstanding Collaborative Planning Project,” Alcatraz Ferry Embarkation Project
Elliott Bay Seawall Project
Award of Merit, Seahurst Park
ASCE Syracuse Section of the ASCE Project of the Year Award, Geddes Brook/Ninemile Creek
WEDA Annual Safety Award, Onondaga Lake Project Team
Excellence in Protecting Natural Resource Areas, Burien Seahurst Park Shoreline Restoration Project
Gold Award for Engineering Excellence, Percival Landing Major Rehabilitation
“Best Restored Beaches,” Seahurst Park
Gold Award for Engineering Excellence, Chelan River Habitat Restoration and Enhancement Project
“Best Restored Beaches,” Olympic Sculpture Park
Award of Merit for the Middle Waterway Areas A & B Remediation
Annual Environmental Award, Georgia-Pacific Log Pond Capping and Habitat Restoration
Commendation for Environmental Excellence, Tibbetts Creek Greenway Restoration, Issaquah, WA
Dredger of the Year
Environmental Award of Excellence, Georgia-Pacific Log Pond Capping and Habitat Restoration
Personal Recognitions and Achievements
Jaclyn Gnusti recognized as Contractor of the Year
Peter Hummel recognized as Fellow
Northwest Chapter President’s Award Given to Peter Hummel
John Connolly Elected to the National Academy of Engineering
Josh Burnam recognized as Contractor of the Year