Congratulating Anchor QEA’s 2021 Scholarship Award Winners
The Anchor QEA Scholarship Committee is happy to announce our 2021 scholarship award winners. Since 1999, our scholarship program has focused on supporting graduate students in financial need who are entering fields aligned with our expertise—and who are committed to giving back to their communities. As a step toward dismantling the financial barriers that contribute to inequities in STEM fields, Anchor QEA commits a minimum of half of our scholarship funds to Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) students who are pursuing advanced degrees in environmental-related fields.
Our 2021 Scholarship Award recipients included:
- A Master’s student in Environmental Science at Western Washington University who is studying kelp distribution and abundance in the Salish Sea, using geospatial analysis to prioritize restoration sites
- A PhD candidate at Washington State University whose research focuses on the effects of urban stormwater runoff on coho salmon and will pursue a career as an indigenous scientist
- A Master’s student in Fisheries and Wildlife Management at American Public University who is passionate about volunteering in her community and has years of experience with the Department of Defense
- A Master’s student in Civil Engineering at the University of Southern California whose studies focus on water and waste management in addition to coastal infrastructure
- A PhD candidate at Texas A&M University whose research focuses on multifunctional wave energy converters that are integrated with breakwaters
- A Master’s student in Environmental Studies at Western Washington University who specializes in urban and environmental policy and planning
- A Mater’s student at the University of Washington who focuses on the human health benefits of implementing sustainable agriculture practices instead of converting forests
- A Master’s student in Environmental Science at Western Washington University whose research in climate change and terrestrial plant matter in aquatic communities is inspired by the ponds at Mount St. Helens
Congratulations to the 2021 scholarship award winners, and sincere thanks to all who applied. The next application window for scholarships will open in fall 2022. Details about Anchor QEA’s scholarship program can be found on our Scholarship Program page.